Newspapers and journals: Tragic death of Edith Mary Gumbleton at Matong


A shocking tragedy occurred at the Matong railway station about 5.30 on Tuesday afternoon, when Edith Mary Gumbleton, aged 17 years, of Matong, was run over by a train and fatally injured. The girl had just alighted from the afternoon train after it had pulled into the station, and then noticed that her brother, who is a member of the A.I.F., was on the same train. Rushing up, she shook hands with him.Just then the train began to move and he let go her hand, but she missed her step and fell under the train.The brakes were applied immediately and the horrified brother jumped out of the train and got down on to the line, to find his sister lying across the rail nearest the platform.It was evident that two wheels had passed over her, and her right arm was almost severed. The brother was so overcome that he collapsed. The brother, Private Sydney John Gumbleton, aged 23 years, of the 2/29 Battalion at Bonegilla Camp (Vic), was spending his leave with another sister, Mrs. G. O'Mara, of Matong,and had boarded the train at Matong to go to Ganmain to spend Christmas eve. The girl was unconscious but still alive, and she was placed on the train to be taken to Ganmain. However,she died while on the train. She had lived most of her recent years with her sister, Mrs. J. O'Mara, of Matong, and had recently been visiting another sister at Temora and then went to see her brother, Mr. H. W. Gumbleton, at Kamarah. She left Kamarah.earlier on Tuesday and proceeded by car to Narandera, where she caught the train for Matong. The girl, whose parents predeceased her, is survived by five brothers, Private Sydney John Gumbleton, Private A. E. Gumbleton, of the A.I.F. Camp, Wagga; Mr. H. W. Gumbleton, of Kamarah; Mr. J. Gumbleton, of Ganmain, and a younger brother, George Robert Gumbleton, who is attending the Masonic School at Baulkham Hills (which she had attended), and three sisters, Mrs. J. O'Mara, of Matone; Mrs. J. Jeffson, of Pucawan; and Mrs..C. Taylor, of Sydney. The funeral took place at Ganmain on Thursday, when the remains were interred in the Church of England portion of the cemetery. Mesrs. Watkins Bros., Narandera, had charge of the funeral arrangements.

ca. 1941

People mentioned

Disclaimer: the owner of this website assumes no responsibility or liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred as a result of any use or reliance upon the information and material contained within or downloaded from this website. I have taken considerable care in preparing information and materials which are displayed in this website. However, I do not provide any warranty concerning the accuracy or completeness of any information contained herein.