Court proceedings: Surrey Quarter Sessions: Robert Cumbleton
Date: 6 Dec 1819
Place: Newington, Surrey
Printed Gaol Calendar
- Michaelmas 1819: 6 December 1819
- Robert Cumbleton
- Court location:
- Defendant's parish:
- Lambeth, Surrey
- Offence type:
- Embezzlement & Fraud
- Offence description:
- Aged 42. Committed the 22nd of November, 1819, by R.J. Chambers and D. King, esqrs. charged and convicted on the oaths of Thomas Bickley and others, with unlawfully endeavouring to redeem a bible, which had been pledge with Andrew Maddocks, at Lambeth, and had been previously stolen from the said Thomas Bickley. - To be imprisoned one month.
- Prison name:
- Newington House Of Correction
- Sentenced Prior To Session
- To Be Imprisoned One Month - Continued Time.
- Committing magistrates:
- R. J. Chambers; D. King
- Thomas Bickley
- Thomas Bickley
Also checked order book and session book but no record of this case found.
Surrey History Centre
6 Dec 1819
Thomas Bickley was a coach maker and harness maker in Clapham Road. It looks as though Robert Cumbleton took the bible and pawned it to raise some short-term cash, then tried to redeem it, perhaps intending to return it before it was missed. Cumbleton may well have been an employee of Bickley, as the crime was embezzlement and fraud, rather than theft.
It is most likely that the name should be 'Gumbleton' rather than 'Cumbleton'; there also appears to be an error in the age, as there is really no candidate who would have been 42 at the time. The most likely candidate seems to be the Robert Gumbleton who died in Southwark a few months later.
Disclaimer: the owner of this website assumes no responsibility or liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred as a result of any use or reliance upon the information and material contained within or downloaded from this website. I have taken considerable care in preparing information and materials which are displayed in this website. However, I do not provide any warranty concerning the accuracy or completeness of any information contained herein.